The spirit and programs of Odyssey are based on the philosophy that every individual's creative capacity is greatly enhanced by a generous community and challenging instruction. The intention of the Studio Assistant Program is to provide progressive students with an opportunity to enrich their educational experience while working within a stimulating studio environment. The program emphasizes education through classes, workshops, lectures, critiques and community.
To be eligible for the Studio Assistant position you must:
- Have completed at least one class at Odyssey.
- Commit to 18-months of service.
- Be community-minded.
- Be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Meet with the Director for a personal interview.
- Make new friends and be inspired by the great artwork created at Odyssey ClayWorks.
- Experience the satisfaction of being a part of the team that makes the magic happen at Odyssey!
- 50% discount on tuition for classes and workshops.
- Learn the technical skills of mixing glazes and firing kilns.
- Opportunities to assist classes and workshops.
- Attend Visiting Artist's lectures.
Studio access for creating new work
- Access to community studio space and equipment during business hours.
- A shelf space to store work and materials.
- Discounts on kiln firing fees.
- Access to Odyssey's Photo Room for taking professional photographs of new work.
Display and sell artwork
- Display work in the Odyssey ClayWorks Gallery.
- Participate in the bi-annual River Arts District Studio Stroll.
In exchange for what Odyssey provides, Studio Assistants are responsible for working a regular 4 hour shift one day per week. Additional hours may be necessary for workshops, special events and meetings. Student Assistants act as representatives of Odyssey and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and to execute responsibilities thoroughly and efficiently. Duties include assisting instructors and students, firing kilns, mixing glazes, and general studio maintenance.